Thunderboltex 3-TR Motherboard
Copyright © 2020 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
All Rights Reserved. No part of this manual, including the products and software described in it, may be reproduced, transmitted, transcribed, stored in a retrieval system, or translated into any language in any form or by any means, except documentation kept by the purchaser for backup purposes, without the express written permission of ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. (“ASUS”).
ASUS provides this manual “as is” without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties or conditions of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. In no event shall ASUS, its directors, officers, employees, or agents be liable for any indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages (including damages for loss of profits, loss of business, loss of use or data, interruption of business and the like), even if ASUS has been advised of the possibility of such damages arising from any defect or error in this manual or product.
Specifications and information contained in this manual are furnished for informational use only, and are subject to change at any time without notice, and should not be construed as a commitment by ASUS. ASUS assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or inaccuracies that may appear in this manual, including the products and software described in it.
Product warranty or service will not be extended if: (1) the product is repaired, modified or altered, unless such repair, modification of alteration is authorized in writing by ASUS; or (2) the serial number of the
product is defaced or missing.
Products and corporate names appearing in this manual may or may not be registered trademarks or copyrights of their respective companies, and are used only for identification or explanation and to the owners’ benefit, without intent to infringe.
Congratulations and thank you for buying an ASUS ThunderboltEX 3-TR card!
The ASUS ThunderboltEX 3-TR card provides Thunderbolt™ connection to other Thunderbolt-enabled devices. Use this card to quickly transfer native PCIe and DisplayPort protocols between a PC and Thunderbolt™ devices.
Your ASUS ThunderboltEX 3-TR card features two Thunderbolt™ 3 ports that support Thunderbolt™ 3 technology, and two mini DisplayPort IN ports (support DisplayPort 1.4 specifications) that allow you to redirect VGA input signals through the ThunderboltEX 3-TR card for video output. The Thunderbolt™ 3 port also features a number or features such as 40 Gb/s bi-directional bandwidth and incorporates DisplayPort 1.4 support, enabling transfer and display of 8K video files simultaneously, and allows you to connect up to six Thunderbolt-enabled devices in a daisy-chain configuration using Thunderbolt™ cables. The TYPEC_1 port also supports up to 100W for laptop quick charging.
Check your package for the following items:
- 1 x ThunderboltEX 3-TR card
- 2 x Mini DisplayPort Cables
- 1 x USB 2.0 cable
- 1 x 14-1 pin Thunderbolt header cable
- 1 x User manual
- 1 x Support DVD with Thunderbolt™ driver
If any of the above items is damaged or missing, contact your retailer.
ThunderboltEX 3-TR specifications summary
|Chipset||Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3 JHL7540 Controller|
|External Connectors||2 x Thunderbolt™ 3 USB Type-C® ports
– TypeC_1 port supports up to 20V/5A, 100W quick charge feature.
– TypeC_2 port supports up to 9V/3A, 27W quick charge feature.
2 x Mini DisplayPort IN ports
1 x 6-pin PCIe power connector for quick charge function 1 x USB 2.0 header
1 x Thunderbolt header
|Interface||PCIe 3.0 x4 interface|
|VGA||Supports DisplayPort 1.4 with max. resolution 7680 x [email protected]|
|Accessories||2 x Mini DisplayPort Cables
(links graphics output from motherboard’s or discrete graphics card’s DisplayPort to the mini DisplayPort IN port on the ThunderboltEX
1 x USB 2.0 cable
1 x 14-1 pin Thunderbolt header cable
|Compatible Models||ASUS Z490/H470/B460 series motherboards and later models*
featuring a 14-1 pin Thunderbolt header
* Refer to www.asus.com for up-to-date compatible models.
|Operating System||Windows® 10 64-bit|
|Form Factor||4.6 inch x 3.1 inch (11.77 cm x 8.05 cm)|
Specifications are subject to change without notice:
- Use only Thunderbolt™ technology-enabled devices that have passed Intel® validation to ensure optimum performance and compatibility with your ThunderboltEX 3-TR card.
- Ensure your monitor complies with DisplayPort 1.4 specifications if you want to connect them in a daisy-chain configuration using the Thunderbolt™ 3 port.
ThunderboltEX 3 card layout
- Thunderbolt™ 3 USB Type-C® port (supports up to 20V/5A, 100W quick charge feature)
- Thunderbolt™ 3 USB Type-C® port (supports up to 9V/3A, 27W quick charge feature)
- Mini DisplayPort IN ports
- 6-pin PCIe power connector
- USB 2.0 header
- 14-1 Pin Thunderbolt header
- PCIE 3.0 x4 interface
Installing the ThunderboltEX 3-TR card
- The recommended PCIe slot for the ThunderboltEX 3-TR card may differ between models.
- The following illustrations are for reference only. The motherboard layout may vary with models, but the installation steps remain the same.
- Shut down your PC.
- Open the chassis.
Ensure that no cables or peripherals are blocking the PCIe 3.0 slot.
- Align and insert the ThunderboltEX 3-TR card into a PCIe 3.0 slot until it is securely seated in place.
The recommended PCIe slot may differ between models.
- Connect the bundled 14-1 pin Thunderbolt header cable to the ThunderboltEX 3-TR card (A) and to the TB_HEADER header on the motherboard (B).
- Connect the bundled 10-1 pin USB 2.0 cable to the ThunderboltEX 3-TR card (A) and to a USB 2.0 header on the motherboard (B).
- Connect the DisplayPort cable to the ThunderboltEX 3-TR card’s Mini DisplayPort IN port (A) and to the DisplayPort on the motherboard’s I/O port (B).
- Close the chassis.
- Turn on the PC.
- Connect the Thunderbolt™ 3 cable from your Thunderbolt-enabled device to a USB Type-C® port on the ThunderboltEX 3-TR card.
- The Thunderbolt™ 3 cable is not bundled with the ThunderboltEX 3-TR package. Use the Thunderbolt™ cable that came with your Thunderbolt-enabled device when connecting to the Thunderbolt™ 3 USB Type-C® port on your ThunderboltEX 3-TR card.
- The ThunderboltEX 3-TR card is backward compatible with previous Thunderbolt™ technology.
- Ensure the DisplayPort cable is connected to the Mini DisplayPort MINI DP IN_1 when using a single Thunderbolt™ display.
- For the recommended daisy-chain configurations or connections, refer to the section Connecting to external devices of this user guide.
Connecting to external devices
Before connecting any Thunderbolt-enabled devices in a daisy-chain configuration, ensure that it is equipped with one Thunderbolt™ IN port and one Thunderbolt™ OUT port.
You can refer to the following illustrations for the recommended daisy-chain connections:
Six (6) Thunderbolt™ devices
Six (6) Thunderbolt™ devices + one (1) 8K DisplayPort monitor
Installing the ThunderboltEX 3-TR driver
To install the driver, place the Support DVD into the optical drive then follow on-screen instructions to finish the installation.
FCC Compliance Information
Responsible Party: Asus Computer International
Address: 48720 Kato Rd., Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Phone / Fax No: (510)739-3777 / (510)608-4555
This device complies with part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
(1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and
(2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures:
- Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
- Increase the separation between the equipment and receiver.
- Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected.
- Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
Compliance Statement of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED)
This device complies with Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada licence exempt RSS standard(s).
Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
(1) this device may not cause interference, and
(2) this device must accept any interference, including interference that may cause undesired operation of the device.
Google™ License Terms
Copyright© 2020 Google Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the “License”); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at: http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an “AS IS” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
Declaration of compliance for product environmental regulation
ASUS follows the green design concept to design and manufacture our products, and makes sure that each stage of the product life cycle of ASUS product is in line with global environmental regulations. In addition, ASUS disclose the relevant information based on regulation requirements. Please refer to http://csr.asus.com/Compliance.htm for information disclosure based on regulation requirements ASUS is complied with:
EU REACH and Article 33
Complying with the REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation, and Restriction of Chemicals) regulatory framework, we published the chemical substances in our products at ASUS REACH website at http://csr.asus.com/english/REACH.htm
This product complies with the EU RoHS Directive. For more details, see http://csr.asus.com/english/article.aspx?id=35
This product complies with the “India E-Waste (Management) Rules, 2016” and prohibits use of lead, mercury, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs) and polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) in concentrations exceeding 0.1% by weight in homogenous materials and 0.01% by weight in homogenous materials for cadmium, except for the exemptions listed in Schedule II of the Rule.
ASUS products sold in Vietnam, on or after September 23, 2011,meet the requirements of the Vietnam Circular 30/2011/TT-BCT.
ASUS Recycling/Takeback Services
ASUS recycling and takeback programs come from our commitment to the highest standards for protecting our environment. We believe in providing solutions for you to be able to responsibly recycle our products, batteries, other components as well as the packaging materials. Please go to http://csr.asus.com/english/Takeback.htm for detailed recycling information in different regions.
DO NOT throw the motherboard in municipal waste. This product has been designed to enable proper reuse of parts and recycling. This symbol of the crossed out wheeled bin indicates that the product (electrical and electronic equipment) should not be placed in municipal waste. Check local regulations for disposal of electronic products.
DO NOT throw the mercury-containing button cell battery in municipal waste. This symbol of the crossed out wheeled bin indicates that the battery should not be placed in municipal waste.
Regional notice for California
Cancer and Reproductive Harm – www.P65Warnings.ca.gov
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. hereby declares that this device is in compliance with the essential requirements and other relevant provisions of related Directives. Full text of EU declaration of conformity is available at: www.asus.com/support
ASUS contact information
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Address 1F., No. 15, Lide Rd., Beitou Dist., Taipei City 112, Taiwan
Web site https://www.asus.com
Online support https://qr.asus.com/techserv
ASUS COMPUTER INTERNATIONAL (America)
Address 48720 Kato Rd., Fremont, CA 94538, USA
Web site https://www.asus.com/us/
Support fax +1-812-284-0883
Online support https://qr.asus.com/techserv
ASUS COMPUTER GmbH (Germany and Austria)
Address Harkortstrasse 21-23, 40880 Ratingen, Germany
Web site https://www.asus.com/de
Online contact https://www.asus.com/support/Product/ContactUs/
Telephone (DE) +49-2102-5789557
Telephone (AT) +43-1360-2775461
Online support https://www.asus.com/de/support