HOMEMADE OREO SANDWICH COOKIES — These fun cookies start with a Devil’s Food cake mix. Two chocolate cookies are then filled with a sweetened cream cheese filling, to create a delicious sandwich cookie that’s sure to be a family favorite.
We have a new favorite cookie at our house, and it’s the Homemade Oreo Sandwich Cookie! Let me be clear from the get-go. These aren’t exactly like store bought Oreos. They’re much, much better!
The chocolate cookie portion is soft and chewy, just the way a cookie should be. It starts with a Devil’s Food cake mix, which contributes to the classic Oreo flavor.
When you try these homemade Oreos, you may wonder, like I did, why Oreo hasn’t come out with a soft and chewy version of their cookie.
Another benefit of the homemade Oreo…..they’re bigger! As big (or small) as you’d like to make them actually. And just like their store-bought counterpart, these cookies are perfect for dunking in a glass of cold milk.
This is also one of the easiest cookie recipes you’ll ever try, thanks largely in part to the cake mix shortcut.
We first tried these cookies back in April, when everyone was hunkered down at home, and we left several dozen on the porches of friends and neighbors.
To say people loved these cookies would be a huge understatement. We received multiple texts and phone calls telling us these were “the best cookies ever!”
We also got several requests for MORE cookies. These cookies were so popular, we ended up baking two batches in one week.
So of course I’ve decided these chocolate sandwich cookies must make an appearance on our holiday cookie trays.
If you’re looking for a quick, simple and delicious cookie that is loved by everyone who tries it, you’ve got to make these Homemade Oreo Sandwich Cookies! You won’t regret it!
Be sure to save this recipe for Homemade Oreo Sandwich Cookies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Homemade Oreo Sandwich Cookies
- Devil’s food cake mix
- Powdered sugar
- Cream cheese
For the cookies
- 2 boxes Devil’s food cake mix
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons flour
For the filling
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the ingredients for the cookies until well combined. Roll into balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are just done and cracked on top. Do not overbake. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling by beating the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually mix in the powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla.
- Spread about a tablespoon of filling on the flat side of one cookie. Top with a second cookie and press down until the filling reaches the edge. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 320Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 307mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 0gSugar: 28gProtein: 3g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes